The Australian Governments' Geoscience Portal
The Australian Governments' Geoscience Portal gives people and companies interested in exploring for minerals in Australia a single point of access to geological and geophysical data and information about legal requirements for exploration in all Australian jurisdictions.
- Links to all Commonwealth, State and Territory geological surveys;
- A download facility for all Australia's geological maps at 1:250,000 scale;
- Airborne geophysical data and digital elevation data downloads from all State and Territory Geological Surveys and Geoscience Australia;
- Links to all mining legislation and jurisdictional reporting guidelines;
- The national reporting guidelines for mineral exploration "Australian requirements for submission of digital exploration data" and the associated Mineral Reporting Template software;
- The Australian mines atlas; and
- A national view of current minerals tenements.
Australian geological surveys:
- Geoscience Australia
- New South Wales Department of Trade & Investment
- Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Mines
- Western Australian Department of Mines and Petroleum
- Tasmanian Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources
- Northern Territory Department of Mines and Energy
- Victoria State Development, Business and Innovation
- South Australian Department for Manufacturing, Innovation, Trade, Resources and Energy
Committees and Working Groups
Exploration Investment and Geoscience Working Group (EIGWG)
The Exploration Investment and Geoscience Working Group (EIGWG) is a subcommittee of the Standing Council on Energy and Resources (SCER). Their agreed annual work program is endorsed by the Standing Committee of Officials (SCO) to MCMPR, and includes collaborative geoscience data acquisition programs, promotion and marketing plans, geoscience research programs, trialling of new exploration technologies, and standards for management and delivery of geoscience information.
The Exploration Investment and Geoscience Working Group comprises the Directors/Executive Directors of the State and Territory Geological Surveys and the Chiefs of Minerals and Natural Hazards and Energy Divisions, Geoscience Australia, as well as the Chief Executive Officer of Geoscience Australia.
Government Geoscience Information Committee (GGIC)
The Government Geoscience Information Committee (GGIC), established in 1998, has an operating mandate from the Exploration Investment and Geoscience Working Group (EIGWG) with all activities conducted on behalf of and with approval from EIGWG. The GGIC provides and promotes a coherent national strategic direction for the management and delivery of geoscience information. The committee¿s objectives include:
- Advise the EIGWG on strategic and technical direction for the management and delivery of geoscience information
- Ensure effective and uniform delivery of geoscience information
- Define and influence national and international standards/guidelines
- Ensure consistent capture and submission of geoscience information
- Collaborate with relevant national and international organisations.
The GGIC meets twice yearly, rotating the chair between the Commonwealth/State/Territory jurisdictions annually in line with the EIGWG chair, so that the same organisation hosts both EIGWG and GGIC for a year. GGIC comprises representatives from State, Territory and Australian government geoscience agencies and New Zealand. Committee members have varying backgrounds including information management, information technology, geology, geophysics and cartography.
The annual GGIC work program focuses on:
- the development and implementation of national geoscience related information standards and data models
- data access and delivery solutions and monitoring new and emerging trends in this domain
- making recommendations to EIGWG to sponsor projects that will improve data and information exchange
- overseeing EIGWG-approved geoscience information projects.
|May - June||EIGWG meet and develops work program and provides to GGIC|
|August||GGIC draft new annual work program based on EIGWG work program; handover of GGIC chair|
|September||GGIC meet; finalise and agree on work program and share relevant information on respective agency activities|
|February||GGIC meet; report on progress against work program|
|April - May||EIGWG meet; GGIC chair presents annual work program report and recommendations for EIGWG consideration for future work programs|